25 May 2011

One girls trash is another girls treasure

I've always loved charity shops!  Since being a little girl I would always act embarrassed when my mum would drag me into Scope to look through the books but there was always a little part of me that was enthralled by all of the nic nacs deemed as junk by their previous owner.  What would make someone give this stuff away I'd think as I would flip through the pages of a tatty Point Horror book.  Since then I've been an avid Charity Shop scourer, unable to walk past the doors of the British Heart Foundation without a quick peek.  As the old saying goes, one girls trash is another girls treasure, or something like that.

Yesterday I had a good old rake through the second hand shops of Durham and thought I'd share my haul with you lovely lot.  I have to say, I'm rather proud of my finds.


This old barometer is possibly my new favorite thing in my home.  Unfortunately it doesn't work, but for 50p I can't really complain.





These silhouettes were discovered nestled in the bottom of a box filled with broken frames.  They weren't priced so the wonderful lady let me take the whole set for £2.50.
 

Another ceramic deer, I couldn't resist.

I got two more suitcases to add to my pile for the measly sum of £15 for the pair. 


And upon opening the smallest case we found this third place prize for a county show.   I'd like to think it's the prize for the third biggest marrow in show.  I love marrows.

11 comments:

Suelle said...

I love charity shops too - I particularly hunt for old plates to use in my blog photographs, and unusual cookery books!

About your certificate - I think you'll find a Griffon Bruxellois is a breed of dog, rather than something edible!

jessica january said...

LOVE the barometer!!

january, x
jessicajanuary.com

Nicole said...

Beuatiful pics!

simple-fabulous.blogspot.com

Sofia said...

Goodness gracious. All those things are just too precious. Great finds.

daisychain said...

utterly amazing!

Jo said...

I love the suitcases, looks like you've had a very successful shopping trip.

I do love a good rummage in a second hand shop too, the more cluttered the better. Like Suelle I'm usually eyeing up all the crockery!

Jenny said...

Love your old suitcases... I've got a couple and they are so useful for storing my fabrics! x

normalityandme said...

That barometer is the coolest thing I have EVER seen. Going charity shopping this weekend and will be disappointed if I don't find one! x

lucyadlington said...

I can't believe you got all of those in Durham charity shops! They tend to be really hit and miss. Love the stag :) x

Peonies and Pennies said...

Love your pile of suitcases. Lucky you with your finds. ~c~

Laurelas said...

I love the silhouettes and the suitcases.. I'm looking forward to be "grownup" enough, with a real home (instead of being a nomad student!) to furnish it with such cute finds :)