21 Jun 2011

Buckeyes

I hate this time of year. All the way up here in the depths of North East England the weather is sucky to say the least!  We don't get sun, instead we get overcast sky and muggy, sticky heat. This is angry Katie weather, this is when my inner bitch really comes out to play.  Its this time of year I really feel sorry for Kris. Sorry baby, I don't mean it, I'm horrid when I'm sticky!


You can probably gather that my heat rage is intensified while baking, especially considering my kitchen is a real sun trap during the afternoon.  This is why any recipe which doesn't require me to turn on that damned oven yet still scratches my baking itch makes me smile a giant smile.


Buckeyes are my kind of sweetie.  Peanut butter and chocolate, yes please, in my face! They've been on my to bake (well, to make) list since I got the Baked Explorations book last Christmas.  All I've been waiting for is a muggy day like today to justify the super easy task of whipping these up.

Buckeyes
(from Baked Explorations)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup  cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups peanut butter (I used chunky as I grabbed the wrong jar from my cupboard, D'oh)
1 cup digestive biccy crumbs (from about 10 biccies)
3 cups icing sugar
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled
12 ounces dark chocolate (60 to 72%), coarsely chopped

Method:
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and peanut butter together until combined. Add the graham cracker crumbs and beat for 10 seconds. Add the sugar and butter, and mix on the lowest speed until it stops floating off everywhere, then increase the speed until the ingredients are combined. Scrape down the whole bowl well, then mix again. The mixture will be quite sturdy and a little dry — perfect for shaping. Set it aside while you prepare the coating.

Melt the chocolate either over a double boiler, stirring until it is completely smooth or in a microwave in 30 then 10 second increments, stirring before you start it again until it is completely smooth. Let it cool to tepid while you shape the peanut butter centers. 

Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Scoop out slightly more than one tablespoon’s worth of filling  and use your hands to form it into a ball. Place the ball on the prepared sheet and repeat the process until all of the candies have been shaped. They can sit close to each other but make sure they are not touching.

Using a fork or large skewer, dip each ball into the chocolate and roll it about so that almost the entire candy is coating, leaving a small circle uncoated. Allow the excess chocolate to drip off the candy before placing back on the lined baking sheet.

Chill the buckeyes until they are set, about 30 minutes before munching down with a big glass of milk!

18 comments:

Kate@katescakesandbakes said...

These look great Katiescakes, a perfect bake for a sticky, muggy day! I know exactly what you mean about switching the oven on in this kind of weather- my eating out bills shoot up this time of year!

Chele said...

I'd take the sticky heat to this rain any day!!!! Makes me long for an Aussie summer after all these years. One of the guys at work used to make these for us, as they come from his homeland, I can taste them from here with all those fab pics of yours ;0)

Claire | French for Cupcake said...

Wow Katie, these look amazing! Going to give them a try for sure :) x

daisychain said...

these = laura's idea of heaven.

Helen said...

Oh my, these sound delish!

sweetcarolinescooking.com said...

Buckeyes are my absolute favorite! I love making them. Especially since I'm an Ohio State fan, I almost have to love these sweet treats. :)

SaraG83 said...

They looks delicious!
Here in Italy the weather was really bad a week ago. Now, we begin to see a real summer sun.

Jo said...

Ooh these look cute! Really pretty teacup and saucer too. I love that guilty sense of pleasure when you've baked something but haven't needed to turn the oven on!

Manderley said...

Magnifica receta, me encanta.
Aqui el calor tambiƩn es bochornoso y pegajoso, ufff

Regards

Suelle said...

How cute!

We still haven't had enough rain here yet, but I don't like muggy heat either!

Nicole said...

Yummy!

Kisses from Hong Kong,
Nicole

How To Be Perfect said...

Your buckeyes look perfect, I bet they were so scrumptious, I think I'd eat them all!

I've been meaning to make these forever, I even have the book, which I love, I really should get to it. x

Stephy said...

These look delicious. I found one of your comments on my old, now defunct blog and decided to drop you a line and tell you about my new blog.

http://dessert-before-dinner.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the recipe, and keep writing.

Cooked in Mum's kitchen said...

I've just made them and wrote about them on my blog. Thanks for the recipe!

ChrissieA said...

OMG! My grandma used to make these for me all the time when I was little! I grew up on the Pennsylvania-Ohio border - Ohio is known as the 'Buckeye State' - and I never thought that I'd see them living here now in England. Thanks for the nostalgia, and for my baking project this weekend! -chrissiex

PinkBow said...

mmm, these look so good. anything with peanut butter is a winner in my eyes!!

(!)(,")(!) said...

Ahh these look yummy! Ive gotta try these!




http://nomaliciouss.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

Just pinned these ones too!