photo m

Pages

9 Jun 2011

Parma Violet Cupcakes

Everyone has something that can instantly transport them back to their childhood, be it the smell of freshly cut grass, the touch of your favorite bear or the taste of candy you haven't nibbled upon since you were eight.  For me, it's Parma Violets.  


While on a recent charity shop bringe I happened across an old style sweet shop, their shelves were piled high with vintage favorites such as sugar mice, beach balls and, of course, Parma Violets.  Instantly I snapped up several packs (50p each, how's that for inflation!!) with the intention of turning them into cupcakes.  Sadly, they didn't last long and I munched my way through both rolls during the car ride home.  I'm a greedy soul really.

 
Then I remembered my long forgotten bottle of violet liqueur nestled snugly between my loathed bottle of Baileys and never opened bottle of Barcadi. Thirty minutes later I was the proud mama to a batch of parma violet cupcakes.  I can see this one being a keeper!

Parma Violet Cupcakes

Ingredients:
110g unsalted butter, softened
225g golden caster sugar
2 large free range eggs
150g self raising flour
125g plain flour
120ml milk
 2tbsp violet liqueur
 
Method:
Heat the oven to 180C and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases. 

In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and the sugar until well smooth.   Add the eggs one at a time, mixing into the mixture between additions.
 
Sift the flours together into a separate, smaller, bowl.  Measure out the milk in a jug and then add the violet liqueur.  Add the flour mixture in three additions alternating with the milk.

Spoon the mixture into the paper cases, filling about 2/3 full.   Bake for about 25 mins until golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.

Remove from the oven and leave to cool inthe tin for 5-10 minutes.   Then turn out to cool completely on a wire rack.


Oh yes, I almost forgot! The winner of the teacup cupcake is none other than Maria of Frills and Spills!  If you could drop me an email with your details I'll get them posted asap :)

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

17 comments:

Stephy said...

These photos are beautiful, but i've never even heard of this candy before.

Butter Hearts Sugar said...

They are so pretty! I love that the cupcake liners match too. The pictures look beautiful.

MissMathful said...

these look yummy, im a big parma violet fan :D

www.missmathful.blogspot.com

Kate@katescakesandbakes said...

I love discovering the old fashioned sweet shops- I feel like Charlie off of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory every time I go in. What a treat these para violet cupcakes are. I too tend to eat (inhale) any sweet-shop bought sweets before anyone else has a look in!

Manderley said...

soo beautiful!

Kath said...

I totally agree with parma violets bringing back happy memories. I am intrigued by the violet liqueur, must keep an eye out for that. The cupcakes look so lovely.

Danni said...

I'm afraid I'm a full on Parma Violet hater, but the colour of these cupcakes still makes them so tempting!! x

Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

These look fantastic! I used to love these sweeties. I'd love to get some violet liqueur.

nicsnotebook.com said...

I never knew you could get violet liqueur wow!! I have some parma violets stashed away to make cupcakes, but of course I had forgotten so thanks for the reminder! Your's look great x

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

Oh wow I love your presentation! The purple frosting is just so pretty. Also I've never heard of this liquer before!

Jess said...

SO gorgeous! Going to have to try this out! X
www.missvictoriasponge.blogspot.com

Jo said...

Mmm, they look so delicious! I love the lilac colour! Be sure to enter my £100 ASOS giveaway!

x
www.lostinthehaze.com

Nicole said...

Great pictures! The frosting is amazing!

Kisses from Hong Kong,
Nicole

Cooked in Mum's kitchen said...

These look delicious... I am definitely going to make these!

Just included your blog in my friday favourites :)

Cooked in Mum's kitchen,
xxx

Nelly said...

I adore Parma Violets, and these are definitely going on my "to-make" list! *nom*

Nelly x
http://lifedreamsandcupcakes.blogspot.com/

Charlene & Lee said...

My Husband tried one from a country stand last week and demolished the lot without me even having a sniff! I will definitely be trying this recipe soon! I don't suppose you could just crush up parma violets could you? Can't find violet liqueur in my local! haha

Scrummy somethings said...

I bought some violet syrup whilst on holiday in Toulouse this summer. It adds a gorgeous flavour to my cakes!