photo m

Pages

18 Jul 2011

The cutest pies you ever will see

Last weekend I decided to bite the bullet and start the arduous task of clearing out my kitchen cupboards; if you know me and my love of kitsch kitchenalia, you can imagine the task I was facing.  As I was routing around, deep within one particular cupboard, I unearthed these adorable pocket pie moulds I bought while in America last year.  Rather than place them neatly back in their dark coffin, I decided to dust them off and utilise the blackberries and apples currently residing in my fridge and make me some pocket pies.


Now, I know apple and blackberry are an autumnal match made in heaven but judging by the weather we've been seeing in Newcastle lately it looks like September has graced us with her presence early this year.


Aren't they just the sweetest? I can't believe I went for so long without using these adorable little things.  Now, if you excuse me, I think I have some peaches and cherries begging for a new pastry based home...


Blackberry & Apple Pocket Pies
(Adapted from BBC Good Food Magazine)

Ingredients:
425g pack ready-rolled shortcrust pastry (I made my own)
2 Bramley apples , peeled, cored and chopped
2 tbsp light brown sugar plus extra for sprinkling
150g punnet blackberries 
thick cream, to serve 
  
Method:
Heat oven to 200C or fan 180C.  Dust a work surface with icing sugar, then unroll the pastry and using your pie moulds cut out four pie cases.  If you don't have pie moulds you can cut out four circles using a small side plate as a template.

Combine the apples, sugar and blackberries and put a small pile on each pie or pastry circle. Dampen the edge of the pastry, then fold over to encase the fruit. If not using a mould pinch and fold the pastry over along one edge to make a pasty shape. Slash each pasty 3 times, lift onto a baking sheet and bake for 20 mins or until puffed and golden. Serve with cream. 


 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

28 comments:

Kate@katescakesandbakes said...

Most definitely, one hundred percent, absolutely THE cutest, sweetest mini pies I've ever seen. Booking a flight ticket to America to pick up my own versions as we speak....

MissMathful said...

they look amazing, so good for doing individual desserts, sometimes a full size can look really messy :D

www.missmathful.blogspot.com

Nicole said...

So cute!

Kisses from Hong Kong,
Nicole

Kc said...

Gosh now I want pie!! They are so cute and I'm so jealous of your little pie presses. Argh I want one! :)

Kc

http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

Mal said...

Adorable! I bought the lattice pie mold at a williams sonoma sale, and really don't use it enough! Thank you for reminding me of it

http://chicgeekery.blogspot.com/

Ashlae said...

I got the lattice mold a few months ago and love it! I made about 5 pies and froze them - whenever I get the urge for pie, I take one out an bake it. It's the perfect size!

Beth (Jam and Clotted Cream) said...

Very cute indeed! Look too good to eat

lerocherhotel said...

These are absolutely lovely!

How To Be Perfect said...

These really are seriously cute pies, I have the heart shaped pocket pie mould and haven't used it for ages. You have inspired me to dig it out. I love the lattice one! x

aliceeliza said...

These are adorable! xoxo

daisychain said...

oh goodness, too cute!

Manderley said...

Que originales te han quedado y muy ricos!

xo

Jo said...

Those are the cutest pies I have ever seen!! Going to keep my eyes peeled for pocket pie moulds.

Nora said...

They are SO cute! I really want those pie moulds now. I think it's possibly only my teeny tiny kitchen that stops me buying mountains of cute kitchen things!

Janice said...

They are so pretty. Food that looks good, usually tastes better too. Love the lattice one.

Hazel said...

These look delicious! I'm feeling inspired now :)

Heidi said...

Those are so adorable!! I need to go looking for some cute pie molds because those are incredibly cute and add so much to the pies. Love the apple and blackberry filling too, sounds delicious!

The Procrastobaker said...

You wernt joking when you said these were the cutest pies ive ever seen!! They really are absolutely beautiful, and even ignoring that they sound DELICIOUS! Gorgeous recipe Katie, as always :)

devorelebeaumonstre. said...

those are SO cute. x


devorelebeaumonstre.com

night_child80 said...

That is too cute! I am going to hunt for some pie moulds like those now.

Maria said...

I am in love! These are adorable :)

Maria xxx

Kati said...

So cute! I love these little pies!

Drink More Tea said...

Another kitchen tool I now Must have

Lucy said...

These are so cute! Heading to America next week - hope I can find some moulds to make delicious pies too.

electricpurpa said...

Hello, i just found your blog and i find it amazing, amusing, and very inspiring. Love them great photos and delicious recipes :)

We love Sweet stuff said...

I love it!!!

ggsophie said...

Those are aso cute! Do you know where I could get them??

elenareviews said...

So cute...2 wonderful mini-pies for 2 wonderful daughters...my daughters.