25 Aug 2011

Rose Creams

I have to admit, I have a little bit of a thing for rose and violet creams. Since I was a small girl I was obsessed with the floral fondants from my local sweetie shop.  Since then my adoration has only grown and grown till I can no longer walk past a chocolates without peaking my head through the door and scanning their array of choccies for those magic words. 


My copy of Hope and Greenwoods Life is Sweet has sat in my bookcase unused and gathering dust for many months.  Often I find myself running my painted finger down its eager spine with a far away gaze in my eye, dreaming of candy and marshmallow, before shaking my head and slamming the glass door.  There are few times in my life I find myself with the patience to dig out my candy thermometer and put it to use, but today I felt ready, today nothing would stop me.  That was until I happened upon the recipe for rose creams, no candy thermometer, not even any boiling sugar.  I can live with that.  


Sadly, I found my cupboards were lacking in the rose syrup department so instead was resorted to using rose water.  The result was a little too floral for my tastes and will definitely be on the hunt for a nice bottle of rose syrup for any future adventures.

Rose Creams

Ingredients:
3tbsp double cream
1 drop pink food colouring
3tbsp rose syrup
275g icing sugar
200g bilk chocolate broken into small bits
1tsp groundnut oil
crystallised rose petals or sprinkles for decoration


Method:
place the double cream, 1 drop of pink food colouring and the rose syrup into a bowl and mix well.


Sift the icing sugar over the mixture and stir to combine.  Tip the mixture onto a work surface lightly dusted with icing sugar and knead the fondant till it all comes together in a firm ball.  Place in the fridge to firm up for around 30 minutes.


Using your hands roll teaspoon sized lumps of fondant into balls and flatten slightly, place on a plate while you roll the remaining fondant until your have a plate full of disks.


Melt the chocolate and oil together in a bowl over a pan of simmering water ensuring the bottom of the bowl does not com into contact with the water.   Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.

Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.  Carefully take a fondant disk, one at a time, and using two forks dip it into the melted chocolate until coated all over.  Be quick as you don't want the chocolate to melt the fondant.  Place the coated rose cream onto the prepared baking sheet and decorate with pretty pink sprinkles and put in a cool place to set.

14 comments:

MissMathful said...

i love these things but havent had them for years... where to find rose syrup :S

www.missmathful.blogspot.com

Jacey said...

I had no idea it was so easy to make these! Chocolates with cream filling are definitely a favorite. I'll have to try this, although I have to track down some rose syrup first.

Candy said...

Your sweets look lovely! I also love your little woodland creatures.

candy girl

Suelle said...

They look lovely; shame you found the flavour too strong.

Rachel said...

I actually love you for this, they are my favourite candy!

eatliveblog.com said...

These look great, I love anything rose flavored!

Janice said...

They are so pretty. I must admit that I always think rose and violet creams look better than they taste. You have made an excellent job of these.

Kate@katescakesandbakes said...

These look absolutely heavenly Katie, and I'm sure would be a huge sell-out in a local confectionery store!

Laura Wynn said...

ooo! These look so great! I want to try them.

Jessica said...

These look pretty and simple to make - I bet a cellophane bag of them tied with ribbon would make a good little present or party favour.

girls who like to gorge said...

These look so, so lovely! I absolutely adore Frys Turkish delight, so I have a feeling this will be right up my street! Awesome blog! xxx

aroundtheworldin80bakes.com said...

Yum! I spotted rose syrup in the Indian supermarket yesterday. I bought rose water instead and dried rose petals. may need another trip! :)

Roberthussy said...

I have been meaning to try to make Rose creams for a while now, for a multitude of different reasons. Though primarily because they are my Father's favourite chocolates. I have read a number of different recipes but was unsure as to the merits of each.



SEOServices

Chrissie nicholson-Wild said...

I am so going to enjoy making these. I found a recipe for rose syrup if you wanted to make your own: http://dishingwithdivya.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/rose-syrup-homemade-rose-syrup-from.html