12 Sep 2011

National Cupcake Week, Day One - Piping

It's that time again, National Cupcake Week!  How exciting!  Last year I decided to post a new cupcake recipe every day for you guys to try at home. This year I thought I'd show you some of my favorite methods of decorating your cakes.  Today's demonstration, piping nozzles and their effects. 

I have a mean collection of piping nozzles and here I'm going to show you the different effects you can get using some of my favorites.  So grab yourself a cupcake and give it a go!


This is a great nozzle, it gives such a cute retro effect to your cupcakes.  Mine came from a set over at Bake it Pretty but most cupcake decorating sets include a wide circular nozzle.  Try this one from Wilton.


This is your more traditional Mr Whippy style nozzle.  Mine is a 1C from Wilton.  This is exactly what you think of when you think of cupcakes, so cute!


This is a closed star nozzle, this one also came with my set from Bake it Pretty and just like the wide circle, most cupcake decorating kits come with one of these.  This one gives a more textured effect than the 1C, perfect for brightly coloured frosting.


I adore this nozzle, this is the 1M from Wilton.  The most commonly recommended nozzle in the cupcake world.  Personally, I don't like piping high with this one and prefer this rose effect with beautiful pastel frosting.  This one is just perfect for a wedding.


And finally, my personal favorite, my Wilton 1B.  I just love the frilly layers you get with this one, such a delicate effect!


I hope this guide gives you a hand when it comes to choosing your nozzles.  Or, if you're anything like me, you'll just get the lot and go crazy ;)  Happy decorating!

22 comments:

MissMathful said...

this is a really good idea. i usually use something like the 1C but want to have a go with a plain round nozzle as i like the effect :D

www.missmathful.blogspot.com

Texanerin said...

Aah! This is the most helpful post ever, thank you so much! I have searched several times for a guide like this, only to find nothing. And what a pretty and colorful post. :)

Sunshine said...

I am about to take a decorating class. Love this post! I love cupcakes!

Torviewtoronto said...

beautiful colours Katie

mrshutchison said...

Katie,

Are you using fancy icing bags or plastic bags such as Ziploc? I purchased a set of nozzles, made a batch of cupcakes and icing, spooned the icing into a plastic bag, and the next thing I knew the bag BURST and icing was coming out at both ends. Not. A. Pretty. Sight. Needless to say, I need a cupcake decorating tutorial for dummies 101.

In my defense - as if I need one - I think the icing was too thick. That's my excuse for making such a mess!

Nicole
http://mrshutchison.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/911-ten-years-later-a-place-of-remembrance-giveaway/

Shirley said...

Such a gorgeous array! Now I want to whip up a batch of frosting and play with tips.

Katiecakes said...

Hi Nicole!
It sounds like your icing was too thick. The more pressure you put on the bag the more likely it is to burst. It's happened to me on more than one occasion. Just try adding a little milk and try again :)

Katie xox

Kc said...

Ok I'm going out to buy a 1B tomorrow!! I love that effect!! :) gorgeous colour choices and photos :)

Kc

http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

Rachael said...

I'm really impressed by these, especially as I can't pipe whatsoever! I love the pink 1M, it looks beautiful :)

Kate@katescakesandbakes said...

What a great tutorial! Thanks Katie!

Jacqueline said...

Well, you have just answered the question I always want to ask. Thank you Katie :)

Jo said...

I absolutely love this post! Great tutorial with lovely photography. I'm a fan of the 1M nozzle although the 1B looks really pretty too. Think I need to make some cupcakes this week...

nicola said...

i realllly want a cupcake now...! xxx

Elise said...

Wow, super handy!

I was wondering if you could maybe make a post with your favourite icing recipes? I only know how to make one with mascarpone, and that can sometimes be a bit too heavy on the stomach.

Jessica said...

Thanks, that's actually really helpful! The blue ones really cute and retro, but I do like the pretty rose one too.

Temporary:Secretary said...

This is interesting, i have no clue when it comes to piping and it's always really daunting, i find! x

Nom! The Indulgent Baking Blog said...

such a helpful post to see what nozzle pipes what!


Nom!

Victoria said...

I love the rose effect nozzle. I may have to make a purchase! x

Sara said...

this is so unbelievably useful, you have no idea! *goes to hunt for nozzles*

http://thewoollenmitten.blogspot.com/

Shirley said...

Just gorgeous!! How do you pipe the lavender one? Just make circular motions with the bag as you move it upward?

Simone said...

I need to start using piping bags, these are beautiful and I love the different efffects!

muhammed ziad said...

Hi will sumoe be able to tel me whrvi could get all differnt nozzls.i need a wholesale suppier thnx.need quite a bit of nozzels