photo m

Pages

12 Oct 2011

Pumpkin Brown Butter Cupcakes

Isn't the weather just perfect right now? Bright sun but the air has a delightful chill to it, it's starting to look a lot like Autumn finally.  Right now, there is nothing more comforting than sitting home, pot of tea on the table with a hunk of lightly spiced cake and a good book.  If, like me, you live in a house with few people you probably steer away from baking a huge cake unless you're expecting guests, this is where these cupcakes come in.  If you don't want to eat them right away, no problem.  Pop them in the freezer along with a bag of frosting and you have delicious cake every day for a fortnight!



These cupcakes take no time at all, no need to cream the fat and sugar together, no adding of milk and flour separately, just pop the ingredients into a bowl and mix.  The most difficult part of making these cupcakes is browning the butter, which is just so super simple.  Go for it!  

Pumpkin and Brown Butter Cupcakes
(Adapted from Martha Stewarts Cupcakes)

Ingredients: 
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for tins
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for tins
1/4 cup fresh sage leaves, cut into chiffonade (optional)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs

Method:
Preheat oven to 160C. Line a cupcake tin with some spooky liners. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the sage, if desired, and continue to cook, swirling occasionally, until butter turns golden brown. Skim foam from top, and remove from heat. Pour into a bowl to stop the cooking, leaving any burned sediment behind; let cool.
 
Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. In another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, both sugars, eggs, and brown-butter mixture. Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
 
Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

10 comments:

Megan said...

Your cupcakes look adorable! I made these last year or the year before and had so much fun making the little pumpkins out of marzipan!

Mal said...

Those are so cute! I love the little pumpkins on top

http://chicgeekery.blogspot.com/

Kc said...

Yum!! These are so on my to-do list. Even though it's spring here I can't stop thinking about pumpkin flavoured things!! I love your little fondants pumpkins on top :)

Kc

http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

rae said...

oh my! these look absolutely lovely! i will have to try to make these as well :) thanks for sharing. lovely photo as well!

Niru said...

Hi! I absolutely love your blog! I've been following it for a year, and every post is amazing! I love baking and cooking, even though I'm not very good at it, and I love trying your recipes :D

I have one questions though. What kind of frosting did you use on these cupcakes? It looks so smooth and creamy and pretty! I am never able to make frosting that looks like that, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the post!

MissMathful said...

i love the decoration,they look so cute :D

www.missmathful.blogspot.com

Victoria said...

oooo i wish i could find canned pumpkin here in the UK...the places that do stock it run out so quickly cause they only get small batches shipped from the states! i miss my fall baking and am getting sick of roasting pumpkins and squash to make cakes! for now i will have to sit and drool over this picture!

HsB said...

I really like your blog and the recipes you post. I have already seen so many I want to try!
I am new in the blogging world and am looking for nice blogs to follow: yours will be one ;)

bye,
Martina
http://homesweetbakery.blogspot.com/

LetterL_FLN said...

These are so lovely! x

Lydiaaudrey said...

Hi I was wondering where you get your canned pumpkin!?!?! I just moved to the UK and I can't find it anywhere! PS I love your blog i just stubbled across it this morning and I've been hooked for the past 2 and a half hours!!!