photo m

Pages

8 Dec 2011

Coconut Macarons

Why hello again, it's been a while hasn't it?  If you follow me on Twitter you'll understand my lengthy absence from blogging, Kris and I just made the leap into home ownership.  Hurray!  The journey has been maddening, stressful and, in places, downright miserable but all of that now seems like a distant memory.  Well, if you ignore the fact I've been without a fridge freezer for three weeks of course. 


I'd love to say that these delicious macarons were the first sweet treat to christen my brand new kitchen but alas, 500 cupcakes have adorned the counter tops since we moved in. No rest for the wicked, or so they say. 

I've been on a bit of a coconut kick recently, I just can't get enough of the fresh flavour and satisfying crunch.  I experimented with some coconut ice cupcakes for Pet Lamb last week and decided to try out some macarons with the left over coconut.  Lets just say, the decision paid off!

Sadly the pied didn't form correctly.  I put this down to the fact my baking sheet was too big for my new oven so had to bake the macarons with the door more than slightly ajar.  Time to buy some new cookie sheets if you ask me ;)


Coconut Macarons

Ingredients:
3 large egg whites
2tbsp caster sugar
150g of icing sugar
40g dessicated coconut
60g ground almonds

Method:

Preheat oven to 150C fan and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.

Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk until soft peaks appear.  While still whisking, pour in the caster sugar and continue to mix until sugar dissolves and the meringue is thick and glossy.

Add the icing sugar, almonds and coconut in two batches, folding the dry mix into the meringue between additions.  Try not to over mix, about 50 turns of the spoon should do it.

Transfer macaron mix into a piping bag fitted with a large, circular nozzle.  Pipe out circles of batter onto the lined tray about 1.5" in diameter leaving 2" between each macaron.  Drop the baking tray on the counter twice to flatten out the macarons and leave for fifteen minutes to form a skin.

Place macarons into the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.  Once cooled sandwich the macaron halves together using your favorite filling, I used buttercream flavoured with coconut essence.  Why not try lemon or raspberry?

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

7 comments:

Janice said...

Welcome back to the world of blogging. YOu have been missed. Lovely looking Macarons.

Laura said...

These look lovely. I love coconut so will have to try this. Do you use the dessicated coconut straight from the packet or grind it down?

daisychain said...

these look SO good! I love anything coconut.

nevertoosweetforme said...

Lovely! I've never had coconut macarons :) but i love coconut flavoured desserts ~

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

Wow these sound so delish...I am a coconut fiend! and would love to see pics of your coconut ice cupcakes too, I think you should share some :) Congrats on buying a house! Hope you get your fridge freezer soon!

Sarirah said...

These are gorgeous and more so because they have a coconut filling. I'm now inspired to attempt making macarons again. :)

jennifer june said...

I've never ever tried French macaroons but they look so gorgeous so I assume them to be delicious!
xxx

www.inordinatelyplush.blogspot.com