2 Jan 2012

Golden Syrup Pot Puddings


 
So, here we are, 2012. How bad was it that we started a new year on a Sunday?!  I'm sure all those good intentioned healthy eating resolutions were postponed until today.  Mine certainly were.

For the first time in six year, Kris and I decided to shun the parties, clubs, pubs and firework displays in favour of spending the night in our new home with only ourselves and the cats for company.  A night in with a home cooked meal, a few strawberry beers and rubbish TV was just what the doctor ordered after an exceedingly hectic festive season.

Our New Year was rang in with very full tummies following these delicious pots of syrupy goodness.  Reminiscent of those boil in the tin puddings from my early childhood they're simply sugary sweet tins of nostalgia.  The second I saw these puddings baked in the iconically British Golden Syrup tins I just had to try them.  I've been collecting syrup tins for months just waiting for an excuse to give them a whirl.  If, unlike me, you don't go through tins and tins of treacle you can always bake these little puds in ramekins or heatproof glass jars.  


Golden Syrup Pot Puddings

Ingredients:
150g chopped dates soaked in 125ml of hot, black tea for 2hrs
375g golden syrup
50g unsalted butter
150g light brown sugar
2 large eggs
150g plain flour
1tsp baking powder

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180C.

Drain the dates and put aside.  Whisk butter and sugar together until light and creamy, add the eggs mixing well after each addition.  Add dates to the butter mixture before folding in the flour and baking powder.  

Pour 2tbsp of the golden syrup into each tin, tipping as you pour to coat half way up the sides of the tin.  Divide the pudding batter between the tins and place on a baking sheet.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the pudding is golden and springs back when you touch it.  Allow the tins to cool for 5 minutes before serving topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

15 comments:

Chele said...

My healthy eating plan is on hold until Wednesday when I head back to work. Great idea for the puddings, love these kinds of sweets.

Lora said...

These are so beautiful. Love the presentation idea.

Butter Hearts Sugar said...

My healthier eating intentions have been put on hold until I finish munching my way through Christmas gift sweets and now maybe after I try these puddings too. I love the bake in tins idea, very cute!!

Claire xx said...

My diet started today also - there is no way I could have begun on a Sunday!! These look great - a fab way to use the tins...

Happy New Year! Claire xxx

princeproductions said...

Love this idea! Might have to start stocking up on golden syrup tins!

Lauren
http://princeproductions.wordpress.com/

daisychain said...

One word...YUM

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

What an inspired, brilliant idea to present these delicious puddings in these tins! And a Happy New Year!

Nora said...

I finished my tin of golden syrup recently and didn't want to throw it away - cooking a pud in it is a great idea! They look lovely.

Katie said...

Oh yum! These look fanulous and would make a really great talking point when served to friends and family. Great idea. Happy New Year

thelittleloaf said...

Oh my god these are so cute! I love the idea of baking these in little tins (and what a good excuse to eat up LOTS of golden syrup). Gorgeous :-)

Tora said...

Sweet lord! I saved my beautiful Lyle tin because I thought it was so infinitely precious and beautiful. But I had NO idea you could bake in them. Praised be thy blog! YAY!

Perfect excuse to make insane amounts of syrupy things! Whiiiii!
(and happy new year!!)

nevertoosweetforme said...

these are so pretty in the little cans!!! I'm definitely going to give this a go! I've still got 2 cans of Lyles golden syrup in the kitchen ;) gotta use more of it now cuz we don't get Lyles in Melbourne!

Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

What a fantastic idea! Quick question though, how many puddings does your recipe make? I'm wondering how much syrup I'll need to scoff before I can make ones just like yours! Thanks!

Katiecakes said...

Hi Sarah! The recipe makes 4 puddings. That's a lot of syrup but it keeps well in a big airtight jar so you could just empty your tins out ;)

Katie xox

Linda @ Lemon Drop said...

Absolutely fantastic. And I am a huge golden syrup fan! thanks for sharing this great recipe and wonderful presentation idea!