photo m

Pages

3 Jul 2009

River Cottage Jam

After months of waiting, my local pick your own farm finally reopened its doors offering up a bounty of delicious locally grown berries. After watching the latest episode of River Cottage, the very episode I watched getting filmed, I was inspired to take a trip to my favorite farm shop to pick some Strawberries and Gooseberries for Hugh's wonderful Strawberry and Gooseberry Jam!


So, off I went, trudging through muddy fields in pursuit of the ripe berries ruining my shoes and coat in the process but the finished product sure was worth the effort! Hugh's preserving method was much shorter than those I've seen before, opting to boil the fruit for only 8 - 9 minutes making this a super quick and super easy jam for first timers like me.


The resulting jam was amazing, sweet and juicy strawberries with the sharp tang of the gooseberries, a perfect combination. I'm dying to try his strawberry jam with sweet scented geranium leaves which apparently tastes like a fine wine!


I'd advise anyone who is a bit nervous about jam making to give this recipe a try. Quick, easy and delicious.


Many thanks to my ex graphic designer boyfriend for the label. He even drew the lil fruit himself <3

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

15 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

hOW NICE! I VE JUST MADE SOME JAM BUT ENDED UP MAKING A DISASTER.

margot said...

Those labels are adorable and how fun (though messy) to pick your own berries. I chose preserves for my SMS pick and am really looking forward to making them.

Melissa said...

What cute little bottles of jam! I've never been to pick gooseberries, what a fun idea. Sounds great!

Coleen's Recipes said...

Lovely jam!! Whenever I think of gooseberries, I always remember visiting my grandmother in England (I was 8). There was a huge gooseberry hedge near her back yard and I asked her about it. In her heavy English accent, she told me they were gooz-breeze (thats how she said it). To this day, gooseberries will always be gooz-breeze to me.

Flourchild said...

I just left a message and Im not sure it went through..so if you get 2 Im sorry. I love the idea of picking the fruit for your own jam. your lables are super cute too!
You should check out my blog Im giving a way a darling apron.

notmicrowavesafe said...

That looks like it would be so much fun. I've never tried making my own jam or preserves (because I'm a huge wimp and I'm too scared), but knowing there's an easy recipe might help knock me out of my funk. And the label made me giggle, I love the little smiles on the fruit!

pinkstripes said...

How fun! I just bought gooseberries for the very first time. Loved them.

Fit Chick said...

I always wondered what gooseberries looked like, know I know. Your jam looks delicious.

Katie, I used a 1 pound bag of candy melts and had some left over. The candy shell just slides right out with no problems, just be sure to leave it in the refrig for at least 30 minutes, good luck.

HanaĆ¢ said...

That looks delicious! I've never had gooseberries but it sounds like it would pair well with strawberries. I've made strawberry/rhubarb jam before as well as grape jelly. The homemade stuff is far superior than the store bought stuff, if you ask me. Yum!

Kaitlin said...

Wow, those jars look so adorable. When I first saw the picture (before reading the article) I thought they were storebought! Great job, Katiecakes' boyfriend :)

PheMom said...

OK, so first, I am totally jealous that you got to go to a pick your own - so fun. Second, your BF is a total keeper for not only being supportive but for helping along. That is the cutest jam label ever!

Michele said...

What gorgeous jam! Wow!

Maria♥ said...

Love those jars and labels!! And the jam sounds and looks delish.

Maria
x

The Bahens said...

Those labels are adorable! After a couple of years doing labels, I finally gave up and just write with permanent marker on the lid. So boring. :)

Basically, Baby Boots said...

Wonderful pictures and those jars of jam...perfect! You should market those. Katiecakes & Jams.